Privacy statement for the University of Salford website
Our commitment to privacy
University of Salford is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy as a visitor to our website at http://www.salford.ac.uk/. We take the issue of privacy very seriously and value the trust you place in us each time you use our services and access this website. This Privacy Statement describes the practices and policies we have put into place to safeguard your personal information that may be gathered and used as you visit our website.
This notice describes how information about you may be used and disclosed, and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
The statement may change from time to time so please check back periodically. If you have any questions about our privacy policies, we encourage you to contact us using any of the methods outlined at the end of our Privacy Statement.
Who is collecting the information?
University of Salford is collecting information on this website as outlined in this privacy statement.
What information do we collect?
Automatic collection of information:
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website or download information, our system will automatically gather and store certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally and is used in an aggregate way to help us improve our website and tell us the number of visitors to our site each day.
Our web server automatically collects and records the following information:
- The visitor's domain name, but not the e-mail address
- The visitor's IP address
- The name and release number of web browser software used
- The operating system used
- Date and time you access our site
- The address of the website that linked to us (referrer URL)
Permission-based collection of information:
At different places on our site depending upon the feature you use, you may be asked to volunteer personal information such as your name, email, mailing address and telephone number.
The following information is collected with your permission at this website:
- Anonymous user survey information
- Survey information including personal identification information
- The names and e-mail addresses of those who use a feedback form
How do we use the information we collect?
The information we gather automatically and with your permission during your visit to our website is used in the following ways:
- Monitor, review, measure, and analyze website utilization
- Modify and enhance the website
- Improve the content and design of our website
- Respond to your requests
- Monitor and improve our customer service efforts
- Study general usage habits and demographic information for our own marketing research purposes
With whom will the information be shared?
The personally identifiable information gathered during your visit to this website is not shared with any organization for any purpose.
Access and correction of personal information
Review of personal information
Upon request we provide site visitors with access to:
- Financial information (e.g., Credit card account information) that we maintain about them
- Unique identifier information (e.g., Customer number or password) that we maintain about them
- Communications that the consumer/visitor has directed to our site (e.g., E-mails, customer inquiries)
- Contact information (e.g., Name, address, phone number) that we maintain about them
- A description of information that we maintain about them
How to access and correct personal information
Consumers can access and request correction to this information by:
- Sending us e-mail to that effect at: email@example.com
Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, or to ask you if you would like to accept or decline a cookie from a particular site before it is set. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the Help section of the toolbar. You should know, however, that if you reject a cookie, certain functions and conveniences of a site may not work properly.
- Store and sometimes track visitor preferences
- Record session information, such as items that consumers add to their shopping cart
- Customize web page content on visitors browser type or other information that the visitor sends
- Analysis and evaluation of our advertising campaigns
- We will never link the cookie to your personal information
For certain advertising campaigns and general web traffic analysis, we will make use of 3rd party tracking solutions. Data collected by these 3rd parties on behalf of the University will not be used, either by us or the 3rd party, for any purposes other than those stated above.
Registration for access
Some websites require you to provide some personal information through a registration process in order to take advantage of certain website features and to access content areas. For example, a registration form might request your name, telephone number and e-mail address. You might also be asked to voluntarily provide a list of topics that you are interested in so your website experience can be customised to your specific interests and needs.
Access to some of the features on this website requires registration,and the disclosure of some personal information, which may include:
- Your name
Interactive services and tools
Interactive services and tools provide website users with a richer and more valuable experience. The tools can provide you with information that is customized according to your personal background and needs.
Some interactive tools may request identifying personal information in order to function. It is important for you to know how your information will be used when it is requested, for what purposes it may also be used, and if it will be shared with any other party.
This site does not use interactive tools that ask you for identifying personal information.
Security of communications
We recognize that many people are concerned about the privacy and protection of information as it is transmitted over the Internet. You should keep in mind that the possibility exists for unauthorized individuals to intercept any email message you send over the Internet. In some cases, information can be encrypted (scrambled or encoded) to make it very difficult to read if it is intercepted during communication. Certain technology and practices allow websites to provide an increased level of security for your personal information when appropriate.
We use the following practices on our website to enhance the level of security for communication and the transmission of personal information:
- We have taken reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of personally identifiable information that you may provide
- We use e-mail forms to allow our customers to ask questions about our services and programs. These are not hosted on a secure server. The possibility exists that unauthorized individuals may intercept email messages
- We are not responsible for the privacy of e-mail messages except those stored in our system
- When we transfer and receive certain types of sensitive information such as financial or health information, we redirect visitors to a secure server and will notify visitors through a pop-up screen on our site
- We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site
E-Commerce, online donations, and online shopping
Purchasing items or making donations over the Internet usually requires you to provide your personal identifying information and credit card information on a website. Many people have become accustomed to on-line commerce as a time-saving and useful convenience. There are a number of practices that can make providing your sensitive credit card information more secure and therefore make you feel more comfortable about doing so.
At this time, we do not process credit card payments for donations, merchandise, or services on our website.
The data sent in international enquiries to the University for UG and PG programmes via webform will be held by Hobsons plc, on behalf of the University of Salford. Your data will be used for the purposes of dealing with your enquiry, and sending you relevant information about the University of Salford. Neither Hobsons plc nor the University of Salford will pass your details on to any third party. If you wish to remove yourself from the University of Salford's database please contact Hobsons plc, Challenger House, 42 Adler Street, London E1 1EE, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
At this time, we do not partner with or have special relationships with any advertising server companies.
Links to other sites
Websites often provide a number of links that offer direct access to other useful or interesting websites holding potential value to site visitors. Inclusion of the other sites by links does not imply any endorsement of the material or information on the other sites. Users are encouraged to review the privacy statement of each linked site before sharing personal information.
This site includes links to non-affiliated external websites. We have the following practices:
- We encourage users to review the privacy statement of each linked site, as we cannot be responsible for the privacy practices of other sites
Changes in our privacy statement
From time to time, we may use customer information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice. If our information practices change at some time in the future, we have the following practices:
- We will use for these new purposes only data collected from the time of the statement change forward.
Preference for future use of information
You may prevent your information from being used for purposes other than those for which it was originally collected by:
- Sending us e-mail to that effect at: email@example.com
Website contact information
Please contact us If you have questions about our privacy statement.
University of Salford
Salford, Lancashire, M5 4WT
Contact: Matthew Stephenson
Telephone: +44 (0) 161 2953152