Conditions of Processing
The first Data Protection principle states that data must be fairly and lawfully processed and shall not be processed unless at least one of the relevant conditions of processing are met. The conditions of processing are as follows:
- It is necessary for the performance of a contract with the individual;
- It is required under legal obligation;
- It is necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual;
- It is necessary to carry out public functions e.g. administration of justice;
- It is necessary in order to pursue the legitimate interests of the data controller or third parties and is not unfair to the individual; or
- There is consent.
Special conditions apply to the processing of Sensitive Personal Data.